This DRI report provides a proposed definition of dietary antioxidants in order to characterize the biological properties and also identifies the nutrients and food components used in evaluation to establish the DRIs. View or download the entire 23 page document or just selected sections below, or find information for obtaining the book version.
Definition and Review of Dietary Antioxidants and Related CompoundsDietary Reference Intakes: Proposed Definition and Plan for Review of Dietary Antioxidants and Related Compounds (1998)
National Academy of Sciences. Institute of Medicine. Food and Nutrition Board.
View or download Full Report (PDF|493 KB)
View or download by Chapter or Appendix:
- Front Matter (PDF|212 KB)
- Introduction (PDF|31 KB)
- Toward a Definition of Dietary Antioxidant (PDF|50 KB)
- Proposed Definition (PDF|122 KB)
- Food Components That Will Be Reviewed By the Panel (PDF|85 KB)
- Food Components That Will Not Be Reviewed By the Panel (PDF|30 KB)
- Summary (PDF|30 KB)
- Selected References (PDF|104 KB)
- Appendix: Acknowledgments (PDF|16 KB)
Read this DRI report on-line at the National Academies Press Web site.